As Wi-Fi and other wireless communication technologies continue to improve, home automation is looking less like science fiction and more of a reality for many homeowners. There is a myriad of applications and benefits that can help your home operate more comfortably, efficiently, and securely.
If you’re new to the concept of a “smart home,” you may be surprised at the many ways that you can benefit from home automation. Here’s what you need to know and what to look for as you compare your options.
why home automation?
Home automation features can help you manage many aspects of your home. You can make them as simple or as robust as you desire. Some of the benefits include:
• Enhanced entertainment: create the perfect ambiance automatically in every room in the house. Set your music to play throughout your daily routine or configure components in entertainment systems and home theaters to deliver the ideal lighting and sound based on the time of day.
• Lighting: smart lighting can learn your family’s habits and create the ideal environment based on movement and time of day—resulting in the ideal light for every room and more efficient energy use. Not only can artificial light be adjusted, but window treatments and shading can adjust automatically as well.
• Access and entry: enjoy the peace of mind of automated locks, so you never have to wonder whether you remembered to lock up. Plus, you can unlock doors remotely – great for when you need to let family members or guests inside while you’re at work.
• Security: motion-activated cameras, lights, and alarms will alert you or the appropriate authorities whenever needed. Set up internal or external systems, including environment alarms that detect fire, flooding, and carbon monoxide.
• Climate control: attain greater efficiency and optimal comfort with a smart thermostat that knows your preferences and routines. Minimize energy use when you’re away, but step into a home that is comfortable because it knows when you will arrive.
• Other features: the possibilities are endless when it comes to home automation, as new technologies are constantly emerging. More appliances come with smart, automated features, making it easy to do things like start the oven remotely or assess the inventory of your refrigerator.
questions to consider
When researching home automation options, there are a few features you’ll want to consider:
• Wires: are the systems you’re looking at wireless? If not, what kind of cable management is required to maintain a pleasant aesthetic?
•Usability: can you set it up on your own, or is professional assistance recommended?
•Network capacity: is your home network able to support your systems adequately, without crashing or lagging?
•Control: are the systems easy to use and configure? (They should be.) AVDG experts can configure your systems so that you can access them instantly with a touchscreen or mobile device.
•Device integration: do all of the components of your home work well together? With the right guidance, you can integrate home automation technology with your existing devices, like your smartphone or cloud-based voice services like Alexa or Google Home.
•Cost: home automation costs can vary widely. This depends on whether you’re installing a few lights or a whole home theater system. But remember, you can scale your system up over time, especially if you use integration experts like AVDG.
request a free consultation
Take the guesswork out of home automation. Request a free consultation with our experts to explore your options and see how home automation can benefit your lifestyle.