AVDG oversaw a wide array of technology integrations for this stunning residential property in Woodside, California. An ambitious project from the start, the family tore down their existing house to build a modern smart home, equipped with the latest innovations in automation and audiovisual systems. AVDG’s experts guided the client through all phases of the project, providing insight and options to meet the family’s specific needs. AVDG also worked closely with the general contractor, partnering on everything from wire placement to security system integration.
In addition to the technology integrations in the 7,786-square-foot home, the project also included work on two additional structures: a pool house and an in-law unit. Homeowners Carol and John Hamilton had braced themselves for the challenges of completing such an ambitious undertaking, but they soon found that AVDG’s problem-solving and project management would make the project far smoother than they anticipated.
AVDG designed and implemented an extensive siloed technology infrastructure that included audio, control, data, security, access control, surveillance, communications, and video. “We are not early tech adopters, so I wanted to fully understand and have control of each system,” Carol Hamilton explained. “AVDG helped us achieve that and so much more. The professionalism was extraordinary.”
seamless customer experience
AVDG brought much-needed guidance to all aspects of the project, digging in deeply to understand the project, clearly communicating, making many in-person visits, and directing solutions to other subcontractors involved. As one example, AVDG Project Manager Greg Mocek worked hand-and-hand with the subcontractor in designing the home theater. And when Carol had questions about how to add content to the media system, Greg meticulously explained all her options.
“Greg and the team even went out of their way to facilitate a visit with one of the private cinema movie players and we got a demo from the CEO,” Carol shared. “It was so fun—we were a couple of geeks on a field trip. Talk about passion!”
Here’s a closer look at the systems that AVDG implemented in each area of the residence.
basement movie theater
- audio system: (3) in-wall LCR speakers, (4) in-ceiling surround sound speakers, (2) in-wall subwoofers with amplifier and (1) surround sound receiver
- control system: remote and recharging station
- video system: 90″ display with fully articulating arm, backbox, video jack prewire, & signal transmission device, (1) generation 4 Apple TV, (1) generic OFE DVR (2) 2m HDMI, (2) IR emitters
AV closet, storage & laundry areas
- audio system: 8-channel digital amplifier, (2) zone players, (4) interconnects, (1) LAN cable, & (1) custom rack shelf
- control system: entertainment and automation controller
- data: hardwired and wireless network
- security: A-series NVR, 32 camera, 4TB, 4 licenses included, rackmount (2U)
- storage: access control power panel for siedle access stations
- laundry audio system: 1 pair 6″ in-ceiling speaker package with 14/4 rough-in cabling
- utilities – communications: single phone outlet with (1) CAT6, (1) CAT6 QP, (1) 1 port decora insert, (1) Lutron screwless decora cover plate
- access control: siedle door entry station
- front door security / access control: siedle door call station
- dining room audio system: 1 pair 4″ small aperture speaker
- kitchen audio: 1 pair 4″ small aperture speakers
- family room audio system: 7.1 surround sound system with (1) large LCR sound bar (4) invisible surround speakers, (1) in-wall subwoofer, and (1) surround sound receiver, control SR-250 remote and recharging station, 75″ video display with fully articulating arm, backbox, video jack prewire, & video transmission device, (1) generation 4 Apple TV, (1) generic OFE DVR (2) 2m HDMI, (2) IR emitters
- living room audio: 1 pair 4″ small aperture speaker package with 14/4 rough-in cabling.
- butlers pantry: control interface via iPad Mini – on-wall
- audio system: 1 pair 6″ in-ceiling speaker package with 14/4 rough-in cabling, SR-250 control remote and recharging station
- video system: 65″ display with fully articulating arm, backbox, video jack prewire, & video transmission device, Apple TV & OFE STB package includes (1) generation 4 Apple TV, (1) generic OFE DVR (2) 2m HDMI, (2) IR emitters
- controls: remote and recharging station
- video: 43″ display with fully articulating arm, backbox, video jack prewire, & video transmission device, Apple TV & OFE STB package includes (1) generation 4 Apple TV, (1) generic OFE DVR, (2) 2m HDMI, (2) IR emitters
pool house, exterior & underground garage
- pool house audio system: 1 pair 4″ small aperture speaker package with 14/4 rough-in cabling, remote control and recharging station
- pool house video: 3″ display with fully articulating arm, backbox, video jack prewire, & video transmission device 1 source – Apple TV & OFE STB package includes (1) generation 4 Apple TV, (1) generic OFE DVR, (2) 2m HDMI, (2) IR emitters
- security for pool area & underground garage: (2) IR dome IP cameras and prewire
- exterior audio system: (4) outdoor landscape speakers with (1) in-ground subwoofer & 14/4 DB prewire.
Even though their home is finished, the Hamiltons have continued their relationship with AVDG via our Simplicity Support. This provides 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. phone support, remote system monitoring to ensure uninterrupted system uptime, and direct access to an AVDG Service Support Analyst, who has helped the family learn how to reboot their monitoring devices, VPNs, and more.