At AVDG, one of our favorite tools we like to provide to our residential clients is a Control4 remote. This is one of the best control systems in the industry, allowing nearly endless integrations so that you can control all of your AV, automation, security, and other systems from one, easy-to-use device.
Like any technology, issues can arise occasionally. From time to time, you might come across an error message or find that the device is unresponsive. If that’s the case, there are a few simple Control4 remote troubleshooting tips you can follow so that your remote will be working again quickly.
If you continue to have trouble with your remote or any other smart home features, AVDG is here to help. If we’ve installed your AV technology, we can help you troubleshoot any issues specific to your system. Or, if you want to upgrade your current systems, be sure to contact us for a free consultation.
what is a Control4 remote?
Before we go over some troubleshooting tips, let’s quickly go over how a Control4 remote works.
In a smart home, there are a lot of features that can be controlled wirelessly, including entertainment systems, home theaters, lighting, locks, and security. It can be cumbersome to access all of your technology using different devices and apps. A Control4 universal remote solves that problem by integrating all of your devices into one easy-to-use control panel. You can access and control all of your smart home features based on your personal preferences and what room you’re in.
The traditional Control4 remote uses a small LCD screen and intuitive buttons that control everything in your home. The newer “Neeo” model uses a touchscreen with similar functionalities and has a sleek, minimalist look.
what to do when your remote freezes
Any universal remote can encounter software issues, for a number of reasons. If the remote is nonresponsive or locked on a screen, there are a couple of troubleshooting strategies you can try:
- On a remote with replaceable batteries, you can perform a simple reboot. Turn the device over and remove the sliding door. Take out one battery for about ten seconds. Replace it, and wait for the bootup. This should resolve the issue.
- Check the battery life. While you should receive a warning if the battery level is low, you may have missed it. On the older model, replace the batteries. Otherwise, make sure you recharge the batteries.
- On the Neeo remote, press and hold the power button until the power menu displays. Then hit “restart.” Alternatively, press and hold the power button until the device powers off. Then power it on again after a few seconds.
Sometimes your remote will display an error message. Here are the most common issues and their fixes.
- Network error: This means that your wireless network is having trouble communicating with the remote. Try restarting both the remote and your network router. If that doesn’t work, and your network is otherwise working fine, reboot your Control4 system.
- Authentication required: This means that you need to sign in on your Control4 mobile app to continue.
need more help?
We encourage AVDG customers to contact our support teams at 1-888-510-5302 whenever issues arise – we’re here to help. For new customers exploring options for residential AV, home theaters, and automation, contact us for a free consultation today.